Monday, February 8, 2010

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief

So who here is hyped about the upcoming release of the Percy Jackson & the Olympians film? I am. I know quite a few friends and fellow sci fi/fantasy fans who are?

I’m baffled when it comes to figuring out why 20th Century Fox isn’t hyped for it.

Sure, there have been commercials of the trailer playing. Sure, the trailer has been in front of some movies. These things are good. I’m guessing (because I haven’t seen any) that there are cast and production members giving interviews and such in all the various places one does such things.


Guess what I keep encountering when I ask people not familiar with the novels if they’re interested in the movie? They universally say something along the lines of “You mean that new Harry Potter knock-off?” At that point I want to throw my hands up in frustration. The really annoying part is I can’t blame them. I can point them to the novels, and I can explain to them what the premise is and how much I enjoy the novels. What I can’t do is figure out why Fox is sending the movie out to die.


I mean they had to have spent quite a lot of money on the film, so why not spend some on marketing and get the word out this is more than a Harry Potter wannabe? I suspect I already know the answer: They’ve already decided that it’s going to fail and they aren’t going to spend a dime more than they are required to spend at this point. Maybe the movie isn’t good. Dunno. Haven’t seen it yet. I’ll let people know once I do. I think Fox thinks it isn't or won't sell for some reason.


Still, it would be nice to have seen a push for this film.


By the way, if I missed said push, let me know. I would like to believe it did happen and I just whiffed on it.

1 comment:

  1. No, I think you're pretty much right.

    Though the publisher did rebrand the first book to Percy Jackson and... awhile before the movie on some versions. So I think there was some earlier attempts to Harry Potterize it.

    But it has gotten more prevalent leading up to the movie.

    ReplyDelete